Taekwondo Spinning Hook Kick
This Taekwondo website provides free written & video instructions for WTF forms, ITF patterns, sparring, kicks, punches, breaking, etc. We also hope you will join our new community website. Meet other martial artists. Ask questions. Discuss forms, techniques, etc.
Taekwondo Spinning Hook Kick
This page teaches you how to do a Taekwondo spinning hook kick. A spinning hook kick can be difficult to learn but it is a very effective Taekwondo kick (because it is powerful and will often surprise an opponent).
To learn other kicking techniques, please visit our Taekwondo kicks page.
Written Instructions - How to do a Spinning Hook Kick
- Start in your kicking stance. You will use your rear leg in this kick.
- If you are in a right kicking stance, turn your body to the right until you are facing directly away from your target. During this movement, you should pivot on your left foot.
- Continue turning to the right and look over your right shoulder at your target - you need to see what you are hitting.
- Easy method - Sweep your leg back in a big arc (your knee will be raised up & out as you kick). Easier to gain momentum but also easier for opponent to see & counter.
- More difficult method - Thrust your kick backwards like a back kick. Harder to gain the circular momentum but it is a faster and more deceptive kick.
- Snap the kick as you approach the side of the target (i.e. head). This is the hook part of the kick.
- Hit the target with the back of your heel (lots of bone - so this is a very powerful hick) or with the sole of your foot. Do not hit with the side of your foot.
- Sweep through the target and bring your right leg back to your original starting position after you have completed your kick. Be ready to follow up with your next attack or to counter your opponent's attack.
Instructional Videos for Taekwondo Spinning Hook Kicks
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
Recent Wiki Community Posts
- Top 10 Deadliest Lists Ever!!! Here is my definitive list of top 10 MA lists. They are in order of which ever one I randomly chose and therefore completely relevant! Anyone who doesn't agree with my list will go on to my list of people who don't agree with my list list! :) 0. https...
- New MA World Record A new Guinness World record for breaking blocks has recently been set, here is a link to the article and video, I don't know about anyone else but I seriously doubt the composite structure of those blocks especially given the nature of the technique us...
- Famous Karate Quotes The wiki has a page on famous martial arts quotes - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-quotes However, it is severely lacking many good Karate quotes. Can you please post some of the classic Karate quotes (with the associated style & originator...
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this website fee for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this website may not be copied or reproduced
without the written approval of TaekwondoAnimals.com.
This website is copyright protected under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
All rights reserved. Legal Disclaimer.
page revision: 1, last edited: 30 Dec 2014 15:02