List of Taekwondo Words & Commands
This Taekwondo website provides free written & video instructions for WTF forms, ITF patterns, sparring, kicks, punches, breaking, etc. We also hope you will join our new community website. Meet other martial artists. Ask questions. Discuss forms, techniques, etc.
List of Taekwondo Words & Commands
Here is a list of Korean words for the essential Taekwondo commands (i.e. Attention, Forms & Kick) that you will need as you learn this martial art. Many schools require you to know & speak these basic Korean Taekwondo words & terms in order to receive your belts. There are videos at the bottom of the page that will allow you to hear how many of these Korean words are pronounced.
For additional Korean words such as numbers, names of kicks and various other Taekwondo terms, please visit our main Taekwondo Words, Commands & Terminology page.
Important Taekwondo Words & Commands
- Attention - Charyut ("Chari-yut")
- Begin or Start - Sijak
- Block - Maggi or Makgi
- High Block - Nopunde Maggi
- Inside Block - An Maggi
- Low Block - Najunde Maggi
- Outside Block - Bakat Maggi
- Bow - Kyungnet
- Continue - Kaesok
- Fist - Joomock
- Foot - Baal
- Forms - Poomse
- Hand - Son
- Head - Moli or Mori
- Instructor - Sabomnim ("Sah-bum-nim")
- Kick - Chagi ("Cha-gee")
- Knee - Moreup
- Leg - Dari
- Numbers (such as 1 through 20) - To learn how to count in Korean, visit our Taekwondo Numbers page.
- Punch/Strike - Chigi
- Ready - Joon Bi
- Referee - Joo Sim
- Rest - Chose
- Return - Baro ("Baa-row) - The word used when you have to turn around & face the instructor at the end of your form or pattern.
- Self-Defense - Hosinsool or Hosinsul
- Sparring - Kyorugi
- Stance - Sogi
- Stop - Kalyeo
- Taekwondo School/Studio - Dojang
- Thank you - Kamsa Hamnae Da ("Kamsa-ham-ni-da")
- Uniform - Dobok
- Yell - Kihap ("Kee-yah-p") - The word used when kicking or punching for power.
Here are videos where you can learn how to properly pronounce Taekwondo words, commands and terms.
New Posts on the Wiki Community
- Community Experiment I have switched the replies sorting option to most popular first (versus most recent first). Therefore, you will see the replies with the most positive/up votes first (as there were lots of great answers to questions being buried under jokes, hi my nam...
- Sparring Gear, Medieval Armor or Industrial Footwear? You might find this an interesting "upgrade" to your existing martial arts sparring shin guards. :) Seriously, I think it is some type of industrial protective footwear. Ellwood Safety Appliance 323 Aluminum Shin-Instep Guard Amazon link to the produ...
- The Definition of Martial Arts How would you define a martial arts in 50 words or less? Try to make your definition cover all aspects so no martial arts style is forgotten (i.e. weapon-based martial arts). Don't look at a dictionary because the answer can be incomplete as there are ...
- A Couple of less well known Karate Techniques Here are a couple of traditional Okinawan Karate Techniques that are still practiced (to some degree) in a few styles but are on the whole forgotten! http://www.karatebyjesse.com/2-okinawan-karate-deadly-techniques/
Highly Rated Posts on the Wiki Community
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these Amazon links. Your purchase helps keep this website fee for all visitors. Thank you for your support!
Material on this website may not be copied or reproduced
without the written approval of TaekwondoAnimals.com.
This website is copyright protected under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
All rights reserved. Legal Disclaimer.
page revision: 3, last edited: 24 Dec 2014 14:57