Taekwondo Belt Levels
In Taekwondo, you will be awarded a series of belts as you progress towards a black belt… and beyond! Below are the belt levels used at our Taekwondo school. However, many Taekwondo school have their own belt levels and color systems so please check with your Taekwondo instructor.
Color Belt Ranks at Our Taekwondo (WTF) School - Other schools can vary!
- No Belt - You start without a belt and after passing your first belt test, you are awarded a white belt.
- White Belt
- Yellow Belt
- Red White
- High Red White
- Black White Belt
- High Black White Belt
Students generally have a color belt test every 3 months (until they reach the higher color belt levels). They will be tested for knowledge of and their skill in specific forms, kicks, breaks and self-defense techniques. Moreover, other schools also test students on additional subject matters (i.e. Taekwondo history and terminology). Please see your Taekwondo instructor to learn what will be tested at your school for your next belt test. After achieving a high black white belt, it generally takes 9-12 months before a high black white tests for his/her black belt. Remember that many Taekwondo schools use different color belt systems so the color belt system above is just a sample of what you might find if you join a Taekwondo school.
Other Taekwondo Schools - Color Belt Rank Variations
Unfortunately, many Taekwondo schools use different color schemes. You will need to check with your instructor to see what color belts are offered at your school and what techniques & forms are associated with your color belts.
Here are some different color schemes used at other TKD schools:
As you can see, while basically similar, there are a variety of colors & levels. Some Taekwondo schools even use camouflage and gold as colors for their belts.
Black Belt Levels - Time to achieve these belts can vary at different schools.
- 1st Degree/Dan Black Belt - This initial Taekwondo black belt takes about 3-4 years to earn (after passing all of the color belt tests and a black belt test).
- 2nd Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 2-3 years to earn.
- 3rd Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 3-4 years to earn.
- 4th Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 4-5 years to earn.
- 5th Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 5-6 years to earn.
- 6th Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 6-7 years to earn.
- 7th Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 7-8 years to earn.
- 8th Degree/Dan Black Belt - Generally 8-9 years to earn.
- 9th Degree/9th Dan Black Belt - If you reach this level, you are a Taekwondo Grand Master. This is generally the highest belt level in the WTF Taekwondo system awarded to "living" people.
Recent Wiki "Community" Posts
- Karate making a "comeback" in MMA? Ever since Royce Gracie changed the MMA world in the early 1990s, the UFC has been dominated by fighters who seem to end fights via BJJ-like submissions. However, people are starting to keep an eye on Stephen Thompson, a MMA fighter who uses a lot of...
- Need help with a disabled student. So we've had a bit of an issue that has been ongoing, but is coming up enough that I need some help with. Our club is small, and the instructor has had a student from almost the beginning (4 yrs) that is mentally disabled, (has aspergers syndrome, whic...
- Is MMA causing an issue with traditional martial arts?? O.K I know this might be a touchy subject, I hope that we can keep it helpful and respectful. I recently entered myself and my son in an "open tournament" hosted by a "MMA" club. they advertised that it was going to be sparring and grappling. The sparr...
Popular Wiki "Community" Posts
Our free email newsletter provides subscribers with Black Belt Wiki & Community updates.
This newsletter is sent out only once per month.
Material on this website may not be copied or reproduced
without the written approval of TaekwondoAnimals.com.
This website is copyright protected under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
All rights reserved. Legal Disclaimer.